15 May 2023
Kerala, the land of ayurveda, offers a unique and holistic way of healing and rejuvenating your body and mind. One of the most popular and effective methods of ayurvedic treatment in Kerala is the traditional full body massage therapy. This therapy involves applying warm herbal oils on the entire body with gentle strokes and pressure points.
The oils are selected according to the individual’s constitution and health condition. The massage helps in balancing the three doshas or energies in the body: vata, pitta and kapha. It also improves blood circulation, detoxifies the body, relieves stress and pain, boosts immunity, enhances skin health and promotes overall well-being.
• Abhyanga: This is the most common type of Kerala massage that involves applying warm medicated oil on the whole body with gentle strokes. It relaxes the muscles and joints, nourishes the skin, calms the mind and improves sleep quality.
• Swedana: This is a type of fomentation or steam therapy that follows abhyanga. It involves exposing the body to medicated steam in a closed chamber or box. It helps in opening the pores, removing toxins, reducing stiffness and inflammation, and improving digestion.
• Shirodhara: This is a type of head massage that involves pouring a continuous stream of warm medicated oil or buttermilk on the forehead. It stimulates the nervous system, relieves stress and anxiety, improves memory and concentration, treats headaches and insomnia, and balances hormones.
• Pizhichil: This is a special type of Kerala massage that involves pouring warm medicated oil on the whole body in a rhythmic manner followed by a gentle massage. It is very soothing and relaxing. It helps in toning and strengthening the muscles, improving blood circulation, rejuvenating the body, and treating various diseases such as arthritis, paralysis, spondylosis etc.
• Takradhara: This is a variant of shirodhara that involves pouring warm medicated buttermilk on the forehead. It is especially beneficial for skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema, acne etc. It also cools and calms the mind, reduces stress and fatigue, and improves mental clarity.
Kerala traditional full body massage therapy has numerous benefits for your health and wellness. Some of them are:
• It improves your physical fitness and flexibility by relaxing your muscles and joints.
• It enhances your mental health and happiness by reducing stress, anxiety, depression and negative emotions.
• It boosts your immunity and resistance by stimulating your lymphatic system and removing toxins from your body.
• It prevents and cures various diseases and disorders by balancing your doshas and restoring your natural harmony.
• It beautifies your skin and hair by nourishing them with herbal oils and removing dead cells and impurities.
If you want to experience the authentic and effective Kerala traditional full body massage therapy, you should visit a reputed ayurvedic center or spa that offers this service. You should consult an ayurvedic doctor or therapist who can assess your health condition and prescribe the suitable type of massage, oil and duration for you. You should also follow some guidelines before and after the massage such as:
• Avoid eating heavy or spicy food before or after the massage.
• Drink plenty of water or herbal tea to flush out toxins from your body.
• Avoid exposure to cold, wind or sun after the massage.
• Take rest for at least an hour after the massage.
• Apply some oil or cream on your skin after taking a shower to keep it moisturized.
Kerala traditional full body massage therapy is a wonderful way to pamper yourself with natural healing and relaxation. It can improve your physical, mental and emotional well-being in a holistic way.Make sure to schedule your appointment today at Chandrima Spa, one of the finest Kerala Ayurvedic centers available.